Ride to Deomali peak, Duduma falls and a visit to Ashakiran Hospital.

 

    
                 A Gadaba tribe woman at hand mill.

The year was 1997.  I just completed my UG final year exams in the month of November and was looking for a long journey, something to feel the break I needed from the hectic studies which kept me occupied for three long years. Soon I thought about my cousin brother living in Koraput, Orissa.  He was working for Asha Kiran hospital as a social worker. My plan was to travel along with my classmates who were from Vijayawada and then to travel alone to Vizag where my brother would come to pick me and take to Ashakiran in Koraput district which was 175 km away from Vizag.

But the plan of God was different that gave me a lifetime memory to cherish. More of my friends joined me for the journey to Vijayawada. We were spending two days in Vijayawada, visiting Prakasam barrage, Machilipatnam beach and Gudiwada. A day before I was supposed to take a train for Vizag, I sent a telegram to my brother that I am coming and he has to come and pick me up from Vizag railway station.

The next day my Friend Jhansi put me in the train to Vizag. Seeing a group of 5 college girls seated next to me, told them that I speak only English and Tamil and requested them to see to that I meet and go with my brother in Vizag railway station. The girls were very friendly and one of them told me that she did her schooling in Chennai and started conversing with me in Tamil. They were buying whatever vendors passed by our compartment and were offering me all that they ate. After reaching the Vizag railway station, I got down and waited for my brother. The girls were very helpful and stood for 20 minutes with me along with their relatives. Wanted to be brave or trying to be, I don’t know, I told them that I would wait and manage. They left and after a few minutes of waiting, I started feeling that I should not be spotted as a stranger and give in mishaps. Instead, I took a bold decision to travel alone. Took an auto and uttered state express bus stand. The auto driver was talking to me in Telugu, i was cautiously talking back in broken single words in Telugu like avunu, ekkada, entha, malli , tharovaatha and many other words and tried my best to show that I am a native.

After arriving at the state express bus stand, I got down and walked searching for the bus bay for Onukadeli which I remember during our family trip to attend my brothers wedding, as the left corner most in the bus stand. I enquired the “may I help you” counter near that bay for the timing of the bus. The person was very friendly and after knowing that I only speak English apart from Tamil, he told me that the bus left just half an hour ago and the next bus is only the next day morning. Then he told there is a bus which goes to Jeypore in Orissa which is 40 km away from  Lamtaput, the place  I am going. He took me by hand and told the conductor of the bus in Telugu, that this person knows only English and make sure he gets to Ashakiran hospital in Lamtaput. After that, the driver and conductor treated me specially and the bus started moving. It was 10.30 in the night when the bus reached Beja junction. This is the place I need to get down to travel 20 km in opposite direction to reach Ashakiran hospital in Lamtaput. The people inside the bus told in Hindi chor which I could understand and insisted the conductor not to drop me there at that time. Then one passenger offered me to take me home in the next stopping. But the conductor told me that I could stay with him in Jeypore in their room and said that I can come back here to Beja junction the next day morning when the bus returns to Vizag from Jeypore. I found that option to be safer and I stayed with driver and conductor sharing their food. They both adjusted in one bed and they gave me a separate bed for me. They did not understand my nature of the job as a physiotherapist but understood as some special medical professional. The next day morning around 5 am we started after having tea and after reaching Beja junction I bid bye to them with a heavy heart. I took their addresses too. After reaching Beja junction, I was waiting in a bus stop and a man started speaking to me in Hindi mixed English. He introduced him as a businessman who buys local produce and sells elsewhere. I saw a sick man being carried by two-person in bedsheet tied to the bamboo sticks.  I had a few sample tablets for general ailments which I got from my dad who was a general medical practitioner. Seeing that man was having a high temperature, I gave a strip of Paracetamol. To my surprise and which was not my intention, they carried him back to their place, instead of bringing to Ashakiran hospital for further diagnosis and treatment.

A crowded jeep stopped by with people sitting on top. I put my suitcase on top of the jeep and stood on the back footplate of the jeep. I travelled for 20km in that footplate. After reaching Ashakiran hospital, the manager came and gave me my telegram that it was only received by them just an hour ago. She also told that my brother and his wife are staying in Tikkerpada village nearby to learn the local Gadaba language.  So the manager sent me with a native to take me to Tikkerpada village. He took me in a bicycle and after reaching the river we boarded a boat with our cycle and sailed a 1km stretch. After getting across I finally reached my brother who was surprised to see me. I stayed with them for 19 days visiting upper Bonda tribe who were considered head hunters in  Bonda Hills, experiencing  Gadaba tribe and helping the hospital by teaching a pharmacist to operate a piece of physiotherapy equipment.


With my cousin brother and sister in law, Tikkerpada lake, Odisha





A tribal rain wears to use during rainy season while working in fields.




Sujan Bhatra, my brother's colleague and I were seen carrying 3 months long ration for Dr Alex family serving in upper Bonda hills. The trek was close to 60 km. We started trekking in the morning at 9 am and reached the place around 5 pm with two hours rest after the lunch break.


With Hannah Alex, Dr Alex, Me and my sister in law Jamuna Herold. Dr Alex passed away recently due to a massive heart attack at his early 50’s. Dr Alex was accepted by the Bonda tribe to live among them but was unpredictable in behaviour due to their addiction to alcohol.


                                   Trying my best shot with bow and arrow, at Bonda hills.





At the field with Gaddaba men at work, Tikkerpada, Odisha

Bird hunting in the fields (the tribal catch birds by running across the fields carrying this net with wooden frames to trap the bunch of birds feeding on the grains in the field after harvest leftover.)

                 We have to cross this dead river, now a lake to reach Lamtaput from Tikkerpada.



So now in 2020 after 22 years, I am going back with these memories wondering what God has in store for me to surprise this time.

The sequel begins....

Tentative plan:
20 November 2020 - Vellore to Vijayawada
21 November 2020 - Vijayawada to Lamtaput, Odisha via Bhadrachalam, Malkangiri
22-25 November 2020 - local visits
26 November 2020 - Lamtaput to Vijayawada via Arakku.
27 November 2020 - Vijayawada to Vellore.

Thursday 19/11/2020

I arranged everything as much as possible at my home to have a routine life in my absence. Packed the via terra claw bag and the magnetic tank bag. checked the DSLR camera and packed with three lenses.  Tried sleeping early but could not have complete rest. My mind was preoccupied as i am doing a week long trip in the bike for the very first time.


Resqtech micro tyre inflater bought for this ride at Rs 999/-


Long lasting batterry life of Ptron bass buds for my GPS voice navigation support. 




My clumsy nature of packing /unpacking


Friday 20/11/2020:

Day 1:
 
I woke up to the alarm at 3am. I was surprised to see my mom packed beef rolls and gave me a coffee. I quickly took bath, got ready and left the place by 4am after a short prayer.








Near Vallimalai, I got scared that I had a flat tyre

At Ponnai and beyond there was thick fog wetting my visor like raindrops and the visibility was only a few feet. 


A bat or an owl hit my right elbow. I felt the animal or birds soft belly bumping on my forearm and i hope it survived the hit. But didn't stop in the dark to look around and I whisked passed by. I was singing some hymns like o gentle shepherd, some glad morning when this life is over i will fly away and kept moving on.

 Slowly the beautiful Nagari mountains appeared with the dawning of sunlight.

                     Near Nagari - Pallipattu road

                     Beautiful Nagari mountain which has Tala Kona falls

             Small stream near Puttur

                First leak break

 Speed breakers in rural roads at every village were annoying as it comes in different numbers, heights and unwarranted.







Beautiful fields of Marigold near Pallipattu-Renigunta

Road work on progress, Pallipattu-Renigunta.

The normal flow of Penna river at Nellore.


Stopped by for breakfast after crossing Nellore.  In a way, I missed travelling with a friend, especially while eating alone. No chit chat. No one to share those riding moments which we would soon forget.  Started again after replenishing.

Breakfast stop just after Nellore

 The ride was boring from Nellore to Ongole. A long stretch of highway with bridges way too long and high at Ongole. I was dumb to foresee the future like the politician who built it. Under the bridge, I could only spot a railway track. I filled 10 litres of petrol in a Hp petrol bunk close to Ongole.

Water break while nearing Guntur

I got a phone call from one of the drivers from the institution I am working. I could not ignore as I know he was on long leave due to paralysis. So I tried swiping the phone screen on my bike mobile holder to get connected.  With my hand gloves, I was trying hard to do it as the screen was not responding to my touch. My eyes were more focussed on the mobile than on the road. BANG!!! I crashed into the back of a load Van and fell on the right side of the road. I got up and my right elbow and shoulders were in severe pain. The van driver came and helped me to lift the bike. He went back to check his vehicle for damage and to make a claim from me. Since I braked turning my handlebar to left and so my headlight cap and rings were crushed along with bending of the right side of leg guard.

The headlight cap and rings crashed

Right side Leg guard bent close to the footrest.


 I fell to the right side with an outstretched hand. I was sitting for some time on the bridge parapet wall. I was self-assessing and I was sure that I sustained no fracture. I know for sure that its only a ligament strain or a muscle sprain. I know it will take 3 days to assess clearly as the whole region will be in protective muscle guarding causing pain on a whole. The van driver left after checking and making sure that there was no damage to his vehicle. I too started my bike but I could not lift my right arm beyond 30 degrees at the shoulder. So I placed my right hand on the handlebar with my left hand and rode to Vijayawada. I was thinking God, that nothing untoward happened as fall from the bridge by being overthrown or run over by speeding vehicle when on the ground. The GPS showed a wrong location of William Carey guest house at Christurajapuram, Vijayawada. The innkeeper Ms Mounica sent me a WhatsApp location and I could reach the place in no time.  I was clumsy in handling my luggage and my ear pod fell into a nearby ditch. I could spot it and put my hand into it as the water was clear (I must say to my satisfaction) and took my ear pod. Waterproof and was working fine. Thank God.

The room was neat and tidy with AC. The cost was 400/- per day.  After settling down, took the last one roll that was packed my mom, as late lunch,

Tidy room made untidy by my spread over luggages.

Nice room with AC.


 I went out to the hall to meet the guests who were staying there. I met three youths from Tamil Nadu who were working for the campus crusade organisation.  Jebaraj was from Palani, Sam was from Hosur and John was from Avadi. They were involved in the youth ministry by creating Mobile APPs and getting connected to youths who are spending more time in the virtual world than with reality. They were sharing stories about how they could prevent some incidents of youth s suicides by providing counselling through mobile apps.

The Youth Team at William Carey International Guest House


Later they introduced me to Vamsi who is the brother of the innkeeper.  Vamsi helped me to buy the spare parts for my crashed headlight cap and rings (Rs 450/-). Vamsi also took me to the Royal Enfield showroom to get it fixed. The showroom service staff were not so kind and after paying 250/- without bill receipt they did fix the new parts with screws. Vamsi was very helpful as a local guy with language and shrewd knowledge on bikes.  I could not ride in the local Vijayawada traffic as they are making their own traffic rules. So Vamsi rode and I sat as a pillion rider. I bought  1/2kg oranges as my night dinner. Took a 1000mg Pyrigesic tablet to reduce inflammation and slept early by 9pm.

21/11/2020 SATURDAY  Day 2

I got up at 3 am before the alarm. I had a cold water bath. There was no geyser. I mounted the bags on the bike. I started to ride around 4.50 am. The road was dusty with truck traffic till Ibrahimpatnam. There was heavy fog after Ibrahimpatnam and I could hardly see with the visor and so was lifting visor on and off.

I took the route to Lamtaput Odisha via Kothagudem, Badrachalam, Chintturu, Kalimela, Malkangiri from Vijayawada. 

Route from Vijayawada to Lamtaput, Odisha.


At Ibrahimpatanam


At Kothagudem, the bike hit the reserve and I filled petrol for 10 litres. The petrol bunk guy asked me whether I am police personnel. I said no and said that I am a doctor. Near Badrachalam, the Ambani brother welcomed me with the jio message and reminded that i have entered Chattisgarh.  I might have been near to Chattisgarh but did not enter physically. The river bridge on Badrachalam was high and narrow. 

River crossing at Badrachalam

River bridge at Badrachalam


After taking a few snaps, I crossed the river and went towards Nellipaka. I took a break to have breakfast at a roadside hotel which is also a house. 


pit stop for Breakfast

The bike was visible with baggage from my table.


The children were playing around and getting ready for school. The elder sister told her younger brother that she will stitch a nice beautiful mask tomorrow and she managed to stitch a torn mask and prepared her brother for school. I asked for dosa and the children's mother gave a nice thin dosa with chutney and a very hot chilli paste. The chilli paste or chutney tasted nice with dosa. I had tea and two dosa for Rs 50/- The conversation was in Tamil and Telugu in perfect sync between us.

River crossing at Chintturu

River crossing at Chintturu



 After that, I crossed Chintturu and rode along the river on my left side til I crossed Mottu village


The river divides Chattisgarh and Telengana


The landscape after entering Odisha at Mottu and ride towards Kalimela


At the village Mottu (partly Chattisgarh and partly Odisha), I entered Odisha. All throughout the journey, I did not encounter any border checking but only eye scanning of me by the CRPF and curious looking police personnel.

 The road was nice with winding roads inside the jungles. I reached Malkangiri and filled petrol for Rs 500, although it did not hit the reserve. At the outskirts of Malkangiri, I stopped for a leak break. I noticed the beautiful Malkangiri lake just ahead of me. It was an ecotourism spot. I guess this part of Odisha has  more to offer for nature lovers and travellers than a regular tourists destinations.

Malkangiri Lake

Near Malkangiri Lake

Selfie was painful with my injured arm. I could not lift beyond 50 degrees at right shoulder.


I reached Lamtaput at 2:50pm. 

I rode 1080km to reach Lamtaput from Vellore.


My sister in law "Jamuna Akka" served me hot boiled rice, Sambar, Beans curry and Omelette.  After relaxing and sharing the riding stories, my cousin Herold, Niece Ashika  and I went trekking behind the house to a Rona village. The Rona tribe were considered as warriors and has a cross-thread around their torso from shoulder to waist like Brahmins.

Back view of Herold's rented House, Lamtaput

Herold and Ashika

Rona village fields

Village road leading to Rona tribe.

Same shot from Herold's Samsung M21 mobile



Fading Lights of an evening sky

Herold, Ashika and I.



The tired face but filled with inner happiness of being there in Lamtaput after 22 years.

We came back home by sunset and were reminiscing the old stories of my previous trips. My cousin was surprised to hear me speaking some Gadaba words and phrases, which I do remember after 22 years.

We had chapati and chicken curry for dinner. The temperature was cold but I could manage without thermal wears inside the house.

My niece Ashika is in 13th grade, doing her schooling in Hebron, Ooty. She has a great skill in drawing and painting pictures. The picture of a tribal women she drew was sold for 10,000 rupees.

Charcoal art of Ashika

Canvas painting of Ashika of Native woman




Ashika was questioning and discussing with us about gender equality and how Christianity is biased towards feminine gender. She asked why did Jesus choose twelve male disciples and not even one female in the chosen twelve. We tried our best to explain from the scripture verses in the bible how Jesus is not partial. After Ashika left to her room, my cousin Herold was saying that if his son Theo would have been there in the discussion, it will stretch elaborate into Christianity on abortion, gay relationships and so on. I was wondering the maturity of younger generation these days. But I do believe that a rationale thinking is essential before following a faith.

Around 11pm, went to bed after taking Voveran tablet for my shoulder pain.

I was denied permission to attend the chapel service the next day inside Ashakiran Hospital as the community was strictly following 14 days quarantine period for outsiders.

So we made a plan to visit Tikkerpada village on Sunday.

                      

21/11/2020 SUNDAY Day 3

Got up early but was lying in the bed till 6.30am.

My bed at Herold's house with a view of Neighbour's garden


Had tea and went for a morning walk with Herold in the Lamtaput-Jalput reservoir road for 4 km.










We passed by the Ashakiran hospital. There was a line of shops opposite to the hospital making good business with the patients. A shop owned by a person named Tutu has everything in his shop as it was catering to the needs of the Ashakiran community. He has in shops like Marmalade, baking powder, condensed milk, diet coke and all goods a departmental store in Chennai could offer.

Next to Ashakiran hospital was Anand Niketan school campus. Recently a month ago, the principal of the school was electrocuted to death. The power lines were loosely connected by knots and unfortunately, the line got cut and fell on the principal while riding his bike just in front of the school main gate. My brother was explaining how he got entangled by the fallen power line.


Anand Niketan Entrance


The power line dangling just above the Gate

                        Came back home and had a cup of tea again. We got ready and had bread toast and omelette. I told that I want to stay away from riding for a few days and so Herold took his scooter to go to Tikkerpada.

Herold bought some chocolates for the kids in Tikkerpada village, from the Lamtaput market

Buying Chocolates

Lamtaput Market area


We went to the lake where the boat will take us to the other side of the lake. I fondly remember putting our hands on the oar to go across but my cousin Herold was saying that Naveen Patnaik government in Odisha is remarkable with development. Every frame we see we can appreciate some development. And I witnessed it in the lake with a stand by speed boat ambulance and a motorboat to ferry people on normal times. Villages are more connected now than ever before.

Way to the Lake

Herold on his scooter

 Old Boat

Ambulance for Medical emergency

Herold's Samsung mobile shots

Floating Jetty. Herold's mobile

Waiting to board the boat.
Trail Boat carrying two wheelers


Steering the Boat
Loading bikes



Serene beauty of the Lake

                                                                                  

Herold was speaking fluently speaking in Desiya, a dialect of Odiya to the local people making jokes.

Inside the boat.

We entered the Tikkerpada village and the people could not recognise us with the masks. Once Herold greeted them in Gadaba, then they exclaimed “Agiyon” meaning Master. Herold was teaching them to read and write as he learned Gadaba to the elders in the village. The tribal languages will not have letters of their own and remain only spoken. So a linguist like my cousin will develop letters borrowing from Odiya and teach the tribals to read and write their own language.

Herold introduced me whether they remember a boy visiting and staying with them 20 years back. The older generation recognised me. One lady told me that I looked like Sharukhan in those days and now I look like her grandpa even though I am younger than her. The natives here are well known for cracking jokes and the conversation is always filled with laughter. The tribal’s always colour and keeps their hair black and anyone who does not colour their hair was considered lazy.

The villagers offered us Tapioca and other lands produce to take home. They gave a tea in a cup and saucer.  I was surprised.

Tea served in ceramic Cup and Saucer.


 But life has changed definitely for good. The house where Herold stayed belonged to Mongla. One of the daughters of Mongla’s brother has completed Bachelor of Arts in a nearby Catholic college, and she was fondly calling Herold as “Kokar” which means little father (Dad’s younger brother).

The girl with a black shawl, Podmi has completed BA.

We heard many children studying, staying in hostels and also people were buying tractors and other farming equipment. There was a newly constructed house with a rusted Maruti 800 car.

Rusted Maruti




The green shirt Mongla had visited Chennai along with Herold many years ago. He used to tell that the gold that we wear make us fair coloured people.

With the boy's gang of a bygone era

Tikkerpada village 
Tikkerpada village

Old Gadaba woman with a hand mill.


Stone cut water storage for cattle.

Tikkerpada village



Mongla's house where my cousin lived

Little girl at work

Boys were playing around.


Girl drying the wheat grain

Harvest time- like Baisakhi, Pongal, Maharasankranthi their harvest festival is called "Poose Porap".
Gadaba fields

Man lifting the harvested pile with a stick

Fields were buzzing with people



The most surprising thing was that the tribal villages were well exposed to online shopping. The Flipkart and Amazon have made inroads to these villagers. The people order and get from a common market place where the delivery agent will bring the goods and handover on showing the order summary on the phone by the natives.

I saw the water hand pump providing clean drinking water, which was the first sign of civilization that the government provided 22 years back. Initially my cousin used to tell that he had no other choice than to drink the brown coloured all-purpose lake water.

Hand water pump, the first sign of civilization


I was showing the old photos which I had taken in 1998. Herold was also showing some old snaps. The little boys and girls were surprised to see their mom and dad in their adolescent age in the photos.

At around 2pm we said bye to them in Desiya “Juar” and left for home satisfied.

Herold was saying that he was happy to play a small role as God’s instrument in bringing education to them.

I could appreciate the change in the villagers through education. The tribals are actually animists and worship their ancestors. Each village will have “Gurmai” an old sacred lady who will practice black magic or believed to do so. The “Gurmai” dictates everything in the village. The villagers believed that any sickness was due to a curse or black magic by their neighbours and fights with them. Now with the education, the villagers were able to talk about germs, the importance of cleanliness and are willing to approach hospitals for their diseases.

On the way back we saw Chacko and his son Joel who were in Vellore for a short time from Ashakiran hospital. Joel studied with my daughter Thelma while they were in Vellore. Chacko works with Bondo tribes, from Ashakiran Hospital. His wife works as a nursing superintendent in Ashakiran hospital. They were busy levelling the land which they have bought recently. Herold was saying that as they lived most of their life there, they feel at home there than the place from where they came from. Most of them are settling there and have plans to enjoy retirement life there in the place where they dedicatedly served.

We came back home, and had rice, sambar, beans fry, and chicken gravy.

Tired after the whole day in the hot sun and took a nap in the afternoon.

Evening went shopping in Herold's car to buy fruits. We came back home had Naan and chenna gravy and slept by 11 pm.

23/11/2020 MONDAY Day 4

21/11/2020 MONDAY

It was a busy day for Herold and Jamuna Akka as they are meeting their Gadaba literacy team for a “Back Translation” work and also some online zoom meetings. But Herold told me that he will take me to the hospital in the morning and also to the Duduma falls in the evening.

 I got up in the morning and went for a walk and jogging for 4 km distance. I met two people on the way. They were also walking for fitness. I made a social smile and said “Hi” while passing by.  They looked like people working for Ashakiran Hospital. While jogging just 1 km i was gasping for breath a lot. I guess it was because of the altitude. Lamtaput lies 900 meters above MSL.

I love these stone walls built by piling on each other. The tribals are more concerned now marking their boundaries after experiencing the outside world as a migratory labourer.


I walked till this board from Ashakiran on Jolaput reservoir road and then returned back.


I had Idli and sambar for morning breakfast. I was introduced to the Gadaba literacy team. The work cannot be simply classified as a religious activity. The team does work for Christian literature translation but they also share the skills in bring up books for primary education. I was shown storybooks on man and animal conflict, agricultural education books for Organic farming and so on.

 

Gadaba translation team. It is their part-time Job. All of them own lands and their source of income is mainly from Agriculture.


Adam and Eve story

Stories teaching important agricultural techniques and Man- Animal conflicts



Foreword by a Government Official.

Jamuna Akka with the Gadaba translation team.

I left them after saying some sentences in Gadaba and wishing all the best to them.

At around 10 am Herold came for a break and took me to Ashakiran Hospital campus. I was not allowed inside the casualty and wards as i did not undergo 14 days quarantine, a protocol practised for visitors to Ashakiran.


Buzzing Ashakiran entrance


Pathway leading to casualty block



Low-cost buildings of Ashakiran

Ashakiran building was built by the low-cost model using tempered Bamboo instead of iron rods and the walls were unplastered exposing the brick and cement work. The Architect who helped was Mr Laurie Baker.


Asha Kiran Entrance


With the director Dr Mattthew in the centre. Mr Victor standing next to him was an administrator in Asha Kiran.


Covid Block to treat the affected in quarantine.


Training unit of Ashakiran

There was a Casualty ward which was shifted to the veranda in accordance with the Covid protocol and after screening for fever triad the patients were allowed to go for a consultation.

 While I was taking snaps around, Herold called me to meet a person. He was the same person whom I met in my morning walk. He was Dr Matthew,  a dental surgeon by profession but working there as a director of Ashakiran. His elder daughter studied in Vellore and was two batches senior to my daughter. We got introduced and later went around the campus to see the agricultural training unit.

About Asha Kiran Society

It was started by four young people.  They had a similar vision of serving the underprivileged, in the remotest part of India during their medical college days in the early Eighties. Over the period the Ashakiran organisation realised the need for education and also farming techniques to sustain and develop the community they serve. The hospital work hand in hand with the Odisha government health programs. The Asha Kiran through community department facilitate education through tribal language and later help them to bring to the mainstream Odiya or English medium in government schools. The community workers from Asha Kiran also teach organic farming, slope cultivation and other farming techniques for farmers.

To know in detail about the Asha Kiran society and their services for the tribal, you may visit :

https://www.ashakiransociety.org/history

After going around the Ashakiran campus, we came back home. I made Baingan ka Bartha and surprised Herolds with my culinary skills. We had Naan and Baingan ka Bartha.

Herold's House building with four portions for tenants

Around 4 pm, Niranjan, one of the Gadaba literacy team staff volunteered to do a hair cut for me. Harold provided him with clippers and an electric trimmer. I wanted a crew cut and my brother told him police cut and Niranjan exactly did the style that I wanted. I thanked Niranjan saying "Dhanyawad".

I enjoyed my Hair cut

My hair cut by Niranjan

 

Since other literacy team members left, my brother wanted to leave Niranjan in his village. So Herold and I went by car to drop Niranjan in his village. The Village was a mixed community, with predominant Gadaba tribe.

Almost all villages have this trademark unplastered stone compound wall

A street in the village.


The village children posing for my camera.


Niranjan's parents live next door but have an independent life of their own.


Niranjan's House Kitchen in the front yard.


Gadaba house from inside


Low ceiling with wooden floor and an attic above for grain storage.


One bedroom which is also a storeroom.



Scripture verses in Gadaba


We were given Coffee and some snacks. Niranjan had two daughters. The elder one studying 8th grade spoke fluently in Engish. Herold asked her what subjects she likes the most. She replied that she likes all the subjects. Well, as an academician, that was a sign of the studious child.

We left for Herold's home around 6.30pm.

Jamuna Akka was having back pain so we decided to give her rest from cooking. As men, Herold and I made the night dinner. I made south Indian Madurai style “Barotta”,  a smaller and thinner version of North Indian “Paratha”.

Madurai style Barotta


This has to be flattened by hand press before putting in hot Pan.

The dough is stretched to the maximum like a thin cloth before making a round shape



After dinner, a bike enthusiast Mr George who worked as an event manager in an IT company, Bangalore and who is now teaching English in Ashakiran academy came to visit me. He had KTM RC 200 and now planning to get some bike above 250cc for long rides. We got carried away discussing bike models. I was suggesting Himalayan or Dominar.

George, a Biker and an English teacher at Asha Kiran Academy.


 We had guava leaf tea. Later he bid good night and left, wishing us a safe ride for tomorrow to Deomali peak.


After three days of rest to my bike and for my shoulder injury, I was ready to take my bike to Deomali with Herold as my pillion rider. That little Nagging pain was still persisting when lifting arm at 90 degrees of the right shoulder.


21/11/2020 TUESDAY Day 5

I got up at 3.30am. Slept again and started to get ready from 5 am. Herold made some bread sandwich with peanut butter. He also packed water and fruits for the travel. 

Out from Home for Deomali Ride


Herold and I in Safety Gears.


We were off the road by 7 am. As expected there was thick fog. I had to open my visor to see clearly on and off to ride safe. We reached Nandapur and had Poori in the roadside shop. I got an extra masala dosa as I was tempted seeing the locals ordering more of the masala dosa. I did not know at that time it will dearly cost me a day.

Breakfast at Nandapur.


 We reached Similiguda, which looked more of a well-developed town with many large showrooms. “Reliance trends” was there. Herold mentioned that Similiguda has developed better than Jeypore, Odisha. The reason was because of the central government officers and professors settling there after retirement. I filled petrol for Rs 500 (5.77 litres), though my bike did not hit the reserve.

We wanted to meet Niraj, a staff of Herold’s translation team hailing from Porja tribe.  His village was somewhere close to Kundali from where Ghat road to Deomali would begin. We missed a diversion and went to Kundali. We asked for directions and came back riding from Kundali to Kuda village 2 km away from Kundali.

Niraj was from a rich family. My assumption on the tribe, in general, got changed. Niraj’s brother was working as an engineer in government roadways sector. He was not an engineering graduate but promoted to that level with experience in the field. They had a Hyundai car and a Hero X pulse 200 bike.  Niraj family was following the Christian faith. There were a group of Porja families which meet in Niraj House as a congregation to worship. We came to know that there were another group of Porja families in the same village which meets as a group and has another church. We were left wondering where is the real faith with such an ego politics of humans for the leadership. During the conversation, Herold asked Niraj’s brother how he lives as a Christian in the workplace. Herold expected an answer about being loyal and truthful while being offered with bribes, common in the government sector. But to our amusement, he said he celebrated organizing a Christmas party bravely among the colleagues of other faiths.

Hero x pulse and Hyundai i10. 

Constantine, Niraj's nephew. He was fascinated with my DSLR.


After having Tea, we bid bye and left Kuda village. The Porja village had perfect straight streets with houses on either side. While Gadaba village will not have streets instead the houses will be as a cluster of close relatives.

Porja fields
Porja fields

Porja village with proper streets in straight lines.

Porja village with proper streets in straight lines.



We reached Kundali market place where an arch welcomes us for Deomali Ghat road. We took some pictures around and started riding towards Deomali which is 25 km away from Kundali.

Welcoming arch for Deomali at Kundali market area.

Kundali Market area


There were a lot of diversions for Tribal villages from Deomali Road. When in Confusion always follow the road with an arch. The Ghat road to Deomali was steep and narrow. I guess any driver on a four-wheeler will have difficulty manoeuvring the steep turns.

Village roads diverging from Deomali road.

The road immediately after crossing Kundali towards Deomali


We reached the endpoint of the road. After parking the bike, we went walking to the top view point close to the peak, There was a small pathway going further to the peak. I was so tired to explore with my full biking attire.

Herold Posing with my bike at Deomali.



The endpoint of the present motorable road at Deomali

The endpoint of the present motorable road at Deomali


Almost nearing the end of the road at Deomali




The view on top was breathtaking. There were a lot of viewpoints on the top of Deomali. Not Much crowded but I believe it was possibly due to the Covid Pandemic. There was so much of Garbage near viewpoints. The Municipality should find the right way to tackle this menace.

                                     

Looking back after ascending Deomali

Breathtaking views from Deomali

Trying to pose but ended up spoiling the Background
Breathtaking views from Deomali


Breathtaking views from Deomali


                          

A new road was in progress and probably in another few months, people can ride/drive till the last viewpoint close to the peak. The road that was being laid was cement and not tar with gravel. The new road which was laid looked slippery and with very steep curves. It did not have a parapet wall too.

Rockpile around a newly planted tree sapling on top of Deomali.

Future Road to Deomali Peak. Doubtful whether a four-wheeler could come all the way up here.


Walking on the Newly laid cement road.

A view of New road work in progress from the highest viewpoint in Deomali.



View from Deomali 

View from Deomali 

One of my Best Moments.







We spent around nearly 2 hours and came back to the plains.


Fields on the way to Kundali from Deomali


The way towards Kundali from Deomali

The river below the Deomali Mountain 

Caught unaware

Caught unaware




On the way we went to Mr Varghese John house in Similiguda. Mr Varghese works with Ollar Gadaba tribe. Ollar Gadaba language sounds similar to Tamil and Telugu. He is doing language development and Translation. We had lunch at their house. Kerala fish curry was very delicious. Mr Varghese and Mrs Shiji have two sons, Jeshwin,  doing 2nd year MBBS and Melvyn, preparing for his NEET exam.

Herold and I with the Varghese family.


Left their home after having Tea and went to Similiguda Bazaar area. Herold replaced his helmet visor with a new one. Took some time to find and fit the perfect replacement.

Around 5.30pm we started riding towards Lamtaput.  We stopped to take a sunset picture on the way.



Road to Nandapur from Similiguda

No issues with the Bike. Thank God. 

Sunset near Similiguda



Evening sky



We Stopped at Nandapur in that roadside eatery to enquire about the eyeglasses that Herold lost on that day. He was disappointed that he lost his favourite specs.

We reached back the house, finally around 7 pm.

Route from Lamtaput to Deomali

A delicious dinner was waiting for us. I just had cauliflower soup and grilled chicken as I was not feeling hungry.

Homemade Bun with cauliflower soup and chicken.



Grilled Chicken

I went to bed thinking about Duduma falls which was the plan for the next day.

 

25/11/2020 WEDNESDAY  Day 6

My stomach was upset and I was awake on and off, all through the night from 1pm. I was taking Banana and curd with a lot of sugar to keep myself hydrated. Banana and curd is also a natural method to stop Diarrhoea (Learned from my Dutch friends). In extreme cases, this does not work  without proper medication.

Around 6.30 am, Herold came and asked whether I could make it to Duduma falls. To make sure that I should not miss the planned itinerary, I said ok and got ready. Just prayed that I should be able to hold till i come back home.

We went in Herold’s Alto car. Duduma is 25km away from Lamtaput. The road was passing through many Gadaba villages.

Ginger cultivation on the way

Gadaba Lady collecting charcoal

Scenic road from Lamtaput to Duduma

Storage of harvested crops at the fields

Fields of Gold Ginger.


Herold showed a spot in the Ghat road were 5 years back, the Naxals blasted a CRPF vehicle. My cousin told me that the Naxals have a good network with the local policemen and with the villagers. He added that they will attack only after several warnings. The government also , in turn, bring in a huge force and do a search in the villages and encounter Naxals. But the places like Didayi villages on the river which could be covered over 6 hours boat journey favours the Guerrilla warfare for the Naxals.

We saw the police station at Machkund which was blasted with grenades. The Naxals took the police station in ambush and tied all the policemen to the trees across the road. Then they blasted the police station building. The government shifted the Machkund police station to Lamtaput but a CRPF watchtower was there. 

Remains of the bombed police station.

Bombed police station, Machkund


Distant view of Old Machkund Police station.


We reached Duduma Falls location. We saw a lady begging there in the car parking area. No tribes or villagers have the habit of begging and my cousin was wondering where she learnt to beg. After parking the car, we went descending few steps to see the Duduma falls viewpoint.


Diversion from the road for Duduma

Car parking at Duduma


Steps leading to viewpoint in the cliff


 The rock was peeping out of the cliff and a deep ravine beneath like the “Pride Rock” in the Movie “Lion King”. We were very cautious as the rock was slippery and no barricade was around. There were two boys from a nearby village who came in the bike were very excited taking selfies standing close to the cliff. My cousin was warning them but they were too excited to listen and heed.

 The big falls on the right side from the viewpoint is the one which comes after used up for a hydroelectric power project. The other two small ones are directly flowing from the river one on the left and the other on just back of the viewpoint rock. I wanted to go trekking down the falls but Herold told it requires help from the locals. Moreover, he also added that we may end up being interrogated by Naxals. I did not venture further. Iron rails are must at the viewpoint  but it will definitely spoil the rugged beauty.


Slanting slippery cliff

The first sight of Duduma

Close to the cliff with peeping "Lion king Pride Rock"

Herold and I

3rd falls behind the viewpoint.

2nd falls on the left side from viewpoint

1 st falls from the hydroelectric station on the right side from viewpoint.



On the way back we visited the Duduma barrage which diverts the water from main the river for Hydroelectric project.

Duduma Reservoir

Entry and Photography prohibited. Lenient at present.

Duduma reservoir from the road

Duduma reservoir - a distant view.


 The barrage diverts more amount of water flow to the hydro electric project and less to the river which continues and fall as minor two branches of Duduma waterfalls.

Water for Hydroelectric project which is also the major Dudma waterfall

Water that continues as a river from barrage and fall as minor two Duduma falls


The barrage also serves as a road bridge connecting Andhra state in one bank of the river to the Odisha state in the other bank.

It also serves as a Road bridge between Andhra and Odisha

At Odisha end of the bridge

At Andhra  side of the Bridge

Duduma Reservoir 


While driving back a man passing by waved at my brother. He stopped the car and went out to meet him who stood a distance stopping his bike. I was sitting in the car but did not have much discomfort with my stomach upset. After 20 minutes, Herold came back and as we were driving, he told that the person he met was a teacher called Mr Dhanu Mudli, working in government school. He was a gadaba and lived in the same village where Herold lived in early days while learning the Gadaba language. Dhanu Mudli was also known for prominent Hindu Ideologies.  My brother told me that he shared his idea of working together to make books of Gadaba poems  and stories for primary education. Herold told that Dhanu was very happy to hear from Herold. Dhanu also knows that Herold does translation work for the Christian Organisation. I felt at the end of the day, both were only concerned about development of the underprivileged community. This kind of understanding is essential for Harmony in the community.

Herold showed me the ecotourism resort on the way near Machkund which can be booked online. It is very costlier considering the local stay options near Jeypore or Similiguda town.

Eco tourism resort Machkund

Eco tourism resort Machkund


We came back home around 9.30 am. I was resting the whole day. I told Herold to get me Lopramide and Norflox T tablets, as my Diarrhoea was not responding to the natural methods. I had rice porridge in the afternoon and took a set of tablets.

I was slowly packing the bags as we have to leave the next day, riding to Vijayawada. Herold’s family was planning to travel to Madurai accompanying me till Vellore in their car. Around 7 pm, my diarrhoea did not stop and Jamuna Akka gave me Rice porridge, and Black tea with sugar. I took a second set of tablets. Jamuna Akka said that we could delay a day for travelling to Vijayawada. The cyclone Nivar was causing havoc in coastal Tamil Nadu and Andhra. I said ok to Jamuna Akka that we can delay a day of travel. After a short prayer, I went to bed. I had a good night sleep and my stomach was normal the next day.

 26/11/2020 THURSDAY Day 7

It was a day of relaxation. Herold and I went in car to pick up Theo, my nephew who was coming back from Dehradun after attending his friend’s wedding. Theo (Theodore) studies journalism and he is in his final year. Theo travelled to vizag by flight and came to Sogur via bus.  We went to get him as the bus will take a longer route to reach Lamtaput.

We came home and had ‘Semia Upma’. I was hogging it with coconut chutney as if starved to death. Afetrnoon  we had Puliodarai or tamarind rice with potato fry and egg.

Herold got my bike washed from a nearby water service station. In the evening i helped Herold to pack his car with their luggage.

We had chappathi, chicken and scrambled egg for dinner and slept early.

27/11/2020 FRIDAY Day 8

We got up at 4 am and within 15 minutes we were on road to Jalaput reservoir. The road route was suggested by Theo.  The plan was to reach Vijayawada from Lamtaput via Jolaput reservoir, Paderu and joining the national highway at Tallepalem. 

Took 12 hours in the rain to complete the ride.



There was an on and off drizzle till we reached Tallepalem. The huge Jolaput reservoir was mesmerizing in the moonlight. We road across the dam with one side full of water and the other side water gushing out to the valley below. I could not take photos as there was constant drizzle which forced me to pack my bags rainproof and my mobile inside my Riding jacket. 


The route turned out to be time-consuming as it was going through narrow roads in the villages.  We stopped somewhere near Arakku and had bread sandwiches and Beef curry.

Near Arakku

Herold and I near Arakku

Jamuna Akka, Theo, Ashika and I, posing with our Breakfast.


We could not ride together as I was at traffic went head zipping past the narrow spaces and at times they were making up a good speed in the highway.

My bike and Herold's car near Arakku.


 Near Rajahmundry, in front of GSL medical college, an auto cornered me to the divider wall in the four-lane by suddenly changing lanes from left to right. I braked and stopped but my right footrest rubber was rubbed to the wall and the metal bar inside was exposed. 

From Rajahmundry to Vijayawada, there was heavy rain. My gloves were completely wet and I started losing grip with the gloves and the hand was paining. I stopped and removed the gloves and rode the rest of the distance bare hand. We had plans to meet and stop for the lunch but with the heavy rain, I did not feel like stopping anywhere. The Google maps did not work properly when switched on in my mobile close to Vijayawada. So I ended asking the route for William Carey guest house in my broken Telugu and reached the place by 6pm. I was totally drenched and exhausted.  Herold reached the guest house, a little later. After refreshing in the room, we went to have dinner. Theo and Ashika bought from Mc Donald’s and they were staying in the room. We three went out and had a nice Hyderabad biriyani, Naan and butter chicken at Food Castle, Vijayawada.


Food Castle near Mc Donalds, Vijayawada.



 I met Vamsi and Jebaraj at the guest house. Spoke for a short time about the trip and went to bed early around 9pm.


28/11/2020 SATURDAY Day 9

Herold came and woke me at 4 am. I had a severe headache. I was slowly getting ready but Herold left around 5 am in the car. After putting on my rain-soaked boots, I was not feeling ready for the ride. I was struggling with my luggage. Vamsi, the inn keeper’s brother was awake and he helped to bring the bike from the parking lot and loaded the luggage. At 5.30 am I left saying bye to him. I started riding without GPS as the road was clear with signboards. It was raining near Ongole. So I stopped to have tea. After seeing the truck drivers eating egg Dosa, I also order one and ate. I also had minute pulp orange juice to keep myself hydrated. The heavy headache was probably due to dehydration on the previous day ride in the rain skipping water and food. So I was cautious to drink water and juice and to have proper stops during the last day ride. I wanted to reach home event free.  I  called and told Herold that I am moving ahead and not to wait for me for lunch. They were actually behind me as the nuts came off from luggage carrier on top and they spent time in a repair shop.

I stopped again and had tea and water near Nellore.

Flooded Penna river at Nellore

Flooded Penna river at Nellore

Flooded fields on the way after Nellore.

Flooded fields near Nellore.

After Nellore, there was flooding and a water crossing on the highway. The cyclone "Nivar" has made Havoc. The police showed a makeshift bridge diversion for small cars and two-wheelers while the trucks and SUV’s went passed the flooded waters effortlessly. I switched on GPS 37 km before Naidupetta and exactly 11 km before Naidupetta I took the diversion from highway to a rural road connecting to Kalahasthi road. I started feeling “Home” and pulled the throttle. I had an Appy Fizz drink, half a litre at Pallipattu and started again.

Railway crossing on the Naidupetta rural road connecting Kalahasthi road.

Waiting at Railway crossing.

Crossed a river bridge at Naidupeta.

Crossed a river bridge at Naidupeta.

Old river bridge at Naidupetta rural road.

Crossed a river bridge at Naidupeta.



Mountain near Pallipattu

Flooding Ponnai river

At Ponnai river bridge.


 I reached home with a warm salute from the main gate security Mr Kuppusamy and a vociferous welcome by my children running out from my quarters on hearing the bullet sound. 


I am back to my "Home sweet home", with Herold's family.




Riding Statistics:

Rider: Tilak Francis

Bike: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Total Distance:  2426 km

Total Petrol consumed: 72.28 litres

Total Fuel cost: Rs.6280/-

Repairs: Minor accident at Guntur costing Rs 250/- for labour charge and Rs 450 for spares.



End of the Trip Odometer Reading 51692 km.

















































































                                                                             




Comments

  1. Praise God. Very Nice Memories with you Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you my friend. May God bless you and guide you and use you more for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir such beautiful ride and nice capture of culture of odisha village people lifestyle. Happy journey and safe sir 👍👌

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an enjoyable read!😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ride.. ..well documented....enjoyed �� it...I know Dr Mathew Chacko and Mr Victor of Asha Kiran well...missed this ride...and also meeting Herold anna who was part of the EU group I attended in Madudai in the late 90's (I was doing BSc Zoology then and Herold anna was doing his MA Linguistics)....hadn't I had COVID, I would have joined you....will try to join your next ride God willing.... RIDE ON BRO....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacob. Looking forward to have you aboard on my next ride.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride to Pachalur, Kodaikanal and a visit to Christian fellowship Hospital.

Kolli Hills bike ride - A VISIT TO CHRISTIAN mission fields

Ride to Leh, ladakh via Jammu and a visit to Lady Willingdon Hospital, Manali, Himachal Pradesh.